Wednesday, 4 July 2012

Acceptance Afternoon

Currently listening to: Nineteen Hundred and Eighty Five - Paul McCartney & Wings

Wow okay, so, during the past few weeks I've been going through some minor administrative and financial crises. Firstly, there's the student finance issue which I detailed a few days ago, which means I will be penniless come September unless SFE sort themselves out, and also the fact that I still haven't found a flat to live in. Bear in mind I'm supposed to be moving in about 5 weeks. This is not due to lack of effort, indeed, a few weeks back I decided to go for a flat, only to be told that the agent had given it to someone else during a period when their office was supposedly closed. Lovely. Anyway, la lutte continue.

So in the spate of all of these incidents, it's been quite easy for me to forget I'm actually about to embark on what has been a dream since childhood for me, namely going to medical school and training to become a doctor. Fortunately, today I was allowed to forget about my lack of money and lack of housing for a while as I went off for the course acceptance afternoon: the first official event I've been to as a soon-to-be medical student at Warwick.

I must say, there is nothing quite as nerve-wracking as walking into a room filled with a hundred strangers who are all chatting...and you're alone and looking flustered as your bus turned up later than you expected. Very nerve-wracking indeed...my initial thought was, "how do they all know eachother?!". Then I realised that if I'd turned up 20 minutes earlier, I'd have been able to get chatting in a less intense environment before the room became packed. I wasn't late by the way, I arrived at 11:20 and the day was kicking off at 11:30. But I was sufficiently late to walk in and look awkward. Anyway, I managed to talk to some people (not people - classmates now!) for a few minutes, before we all went to the lecture theatre. Anyway, the most amazing feeling ever when I went to register and there was my name. Me! As a medical student! On the list! Finally!

The first talk was an introduction to Phase I of our course (roughly: the mostly pre-clinical phase). All seems very interesting and a wide range of different modules, none of which include labs! Yay! The lecturers went through the timetable for our first three terms, which is 9-5, Monday to Friday. Feels less like university, and more like a job! Then again, I'm going to be doing a 5 year degree in 4 years, so I wasn't altogether surprised at the intensity of the timetable really. The molecules professor was very lively and animated indeed, and I think, succeeded in successfully scaring most of the class into actually committing to read the biochemistry reading list over the Summer. I'll be looking through my old notes for sure. I've covered all the topics on the syllabus during undergrad and postgrad, though I could do with some revision.

Lunch followed, more chatting with random people for five minutes at a time (felt like the interview day all over again), and then more talks. This time on less academic things and more practical affairs such as accommodation, student finance, the disability service, occupational health etc. Then a final talk by the MedSoc reps and a few words from the Phase II (wholly clinical part of the course) director. Again, very interesting. Can't believe in 18 months I'll be a clinical med student (you know, if I pass exams and all).

The next time I go back will be in the first week of September when I officially start the course. All I can say is bring it on, I really can't wait! Even the long talk on occupational health was more interesting than every biomed lab I've ever had simply because it's not irrelevant to who I am and what I want to do. To be honest with you, if I'm beginning to find occupational health talks interesting, then it's only a short period of time before I fully evolve into the Painfully Enthusiastic Medical Student:



Anyway, I'm sure I've said this a lot, and I will say it a lot more over the coming weeks and months, and you can call me a naive idealist all you like, but it feels truly amazing and fulfilling to be sat in a lecture theatre knowing that I'm happy and content exactly where I am and that the days of constantly yearning for something else are over. Very happy about that.

(PS: Given just how sickeningly positive and un-grumpy this post was, I'll also add that I'll be switching over to a new blog pretty soon-ish. As I'm no longer grumpy about my degree or a biomed student, it feels vaguely weird to be writing on here. It's a bit like wearing clothes from your childhood: they once served you well, but at a certain point you realise you've grown and you just have to get a new set of clothes, you know?)

4 comments:

  1. Your post made me smile, it sort of reminded me of my first day at medical school too. Really happy for you grumpy, and can't wait to read your next chapter ... keep posting! Congrats once again grumps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic to see your no longer grumpy - and I look forward to seeing what your new blog is called!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grumpyyyyy! Good to read un-grumpiness!

    Your timetable is intense, saluting you big time. Do put a link up to your new blog so we can all find you!

    Also agreed on student finance. I don't even... ¬_¬

    ReplyDelete
  4. So pleased for you! I hope one day I will be feeling all what you're feeling right now! Make sure we know where your blog has moved to :D

    ReplyDelete