Tuesday, 24 January 2012

Interview #3

Currently listening to: Celestial Voices - Pink Floyd

Being a medical school applicant basically means signing away a year of your life, mind and sanity to the medical schools in the hope that you can get an offer by the end of it all. During that year you are constantly preoccupied with thoughts regarding your application. This does not only affect those of an obsessive or neurotic disposition, but rather is a result of the entire applications process and how complicated it's become in recent years. It starts off during the summer with preparation for entrance exams then slowly but steadily builds up over the next few months until finally, nearly a year on, you reach the end of the applications cycle. You can't not think about it, it is constantly at the back of your mind (and as I've discovered - in your nightmares too), a perpetual source of stimulation and a sort of low level attrition warfare on the rest of your psyche.

Which is why when things go right you really have to cherish it, because when so much of your time is spent imagining the worst case scenario over and over again, getting good news is a sign that you're doing something right and may be inching ever closer to your ultimate aim. Hence why I'm very pleased to announce that I've just been invited to interview for the 5 yr degree at Barts and The London next month. I've been sent an article on an aspect of medical ethics which I will be asked questions on, as well as on my personal statement, so I shall be doing a lot of reading over the coming days and weeks. Online medicine forums indicate that the interviewers for the 5yr degree at BL are supposed to be friendly and nice, so let's hope that it goes well. The interview is on Feb 14th, which is the day before I go to Coventry for the Warwick Selection Centre. Needless to say, it's going to be a very busy two days!

It's amazing really. All through sixth form and my BSc I would have killed for just one interview, now I've been invited to 3/3. It's really fantastic how things can (and do) sometimes change for the better. So on a similar note, what I want out of this process is just one offer. So as always...keep calm and carry on and let's see what happens.

12 comments:

  1. You, sir, are extremely inspiring. I'm glad you've done so well and you're going to be so damn qualified after 4/5 years.
    If all goes well and you manage to get that sacred offer, would you be willing to uphold the blog and keep inspiring other med applicants? aka me and others like myself :)

    It's just a thought...

    Kiron

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reading your blog makes me happy :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on the interview grumpy!! Really excited for you!!

    The interview is really friendly, and it's more about getting to know you than an interrogation ^^! plus... an interview on valentines day.. i think you're supposed to fall in love with the place ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Kiron: I'm actually blushing, thank you for the kind words. I'm undecided so far, the answer for the time being is "maybe". Though I certainly won't be carrying it on in the present form because with any luck come September I won't be a grumpy biomed anymore :P

    @Anonymous: Aw, I'm glad! I'm happy too, bit hard to be grumpy atm, I just hope all this positive build-up leads to a nice offer!

    @Tofu: Thanks as always! And it's a bit late for that, I fell in love just over three years ago ;) Really hope it's as painless as you and people on NMM etc say it is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be really good if you were to document your time as a medic. Grumpy Medic does have a good ring to it (even if you're the ungrumpiest medic there ever was) :D

      Wishing you the best of luck in your future endeveavours.

      Delete
    2. Cheers dude, again much appreciated. I certainly won't delete this blog, I just hope I won't have to update it in the current form anymore. Yeah, I'll need a new moniker if I get into medicine and decide to continue blogging. I guess I'll make my mind up one way or another in a few months :P

      Where are you at in the application process anyway? And are you a graduate, school leaver, or what? :)

      Delete
    3. Yeah, your blog has certainly been one of the my most interesting reads during my hours of procrastination.

      Me? I'm a first year pharmacology student. I've convinced myself that it's never to early to start thinking about the application process - even if I am applying in 1 and a half years time :P

      Delete
  5. congrats!! :) I'm soo happy for you !! You really deserve a place and they are going to see that at the interview so you have nothing to worry about, just be yourself :)

    Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations!! This is such good news after all that worry! Crossing my fingers for you, let us know how it goes :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay! We have the same interview day!!!
    Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent work! Really good to see that there is a consensus that you are the sort of applicant that they want!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good luck today Grumpy! Thinking good thoughts your way :)

    ReplyDelete