Friday, 11 June 2010

Less than a week to go

Currently listening to: Moonlight Sonata - Beethoven

Words cannot describe how lovely life is without exams. Being able to sleep for more than five hours a night, being able to read things other than textbooks, being able to sleep in your own bed (rather than on a library chair), being able to go out, come back and wake up whenever you please. Though apparently my body's got used to the late nights, hence why I'm still up at stupid o'clock!

And getting drunk too. Back in first year, getting drunk was a weekly ritual and I would be drinking myself senseless every Friday night without fail. If I ever woke up without a hangover on a Saturday I'd actually be disappointed.

Second year has been a sober experience in all senses of the word. With the endless coursework, revision and general scutwork, I perhaps only got drunk a few times all year. Since exams finished however I've been able to go out and enjoy life as a sociable student in London, rather than just a drone who pulls 18 hour shifts in the library.

Though the frequency of drinking has lessened in recent days mainly because people are slowly moving back to their hometowns. That means that I am now mostly sober (and un-hungover), and thoughts of results day have brought me back down to earth with an unpleasant bump...such as the fact that this time next week I'll know. The prospect is quite scary...they say that ignorance is bliss, and I'm inclined to agree!

Rather like a condemned man writing his will, I've also seriously begun researching alternatives to medicine in the likely event that I don't get in. There's billions of Masters degrees out there, but since I loathe 99% of my course it's been hell trying to find a decent one. That said yesterday I did stumble across something that really caught my eye, a MSc in Allergy available at Imperial College or Southampton. I have no idea how I'd pay for such a course, especially at Imperial where the cost of living in the surrounding area will be pretty hefty, but I really did enjoy studying allergy and hypersensitivity this year, and completed my immunology coursework on the hygeine hypothesis. It's definitely something I'd be interested in, and maybe I could apply for medicine after that?

It might sound silly to write myself off before even applying for medicine, though the rumour is that this year only six 3rd year biomeds got a medical offer...those are pretty scary odds so therefore I'm not feeling very confident. Anyway, I think things will be a lot clearer after next week, one way or another.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the birthday wishes :) Now stop thinking so negatively! :p There's no reason why you shouldn't get a 2.i, you seem tohave been doing really well so far. If you do get a 2.ii, well I got in with a 2.ii and St George's take a 2.ii with GAMSAT since you seem so keen on London. Apart from that, Southampton is beautiful and they've just had new labs built on campus and new labs built at the hospital to accomodate some of the researchers. Not sure where you'd be based but those sites are shared by the medics, if you can bear bumping in to them everyday. Enjoy your summer break, and fingers crossed for next week!

    ReplyDelete