Friday, 26 March 2010

Burst Water Main

Time for a proper grumble I think:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/8589173.stm

I woke up this morning, and turned on my tap. The water trickled out and eventually sputtered to a halt. Having washed my face with about a teaspoon's worth of water, I bemusedly walked to Whitechapel Library to do my Clinical Microbiology coursework, only to realise it was shut due to a "burst water main in the local area". My class was due to start at 2PM so I thought, what the hell, I'll just go to the Garrod Building a few minutes early, and try and use the IT room there. It was not to be, the entire building was evacuated, and a sign proclaimed that all classes were cancelled due to said burst water main. Still very bemused at having trekked down to Whitechapel for nothing I walked back to Mile End, and decided to see if the Library there was available for use. This was folly on my part, as the entire campus had been shut down. Seriously, people were being shepherded out of all the buildings, the main doors of the Queen's Building were locked and so on.

For many third year students this would have been their last day of lectures ever. For me it was meant to be my last Nutrition and Metabolism class. What a way for the module to end! All of this explains why I am now writing to you from Senate House Library in Bloomsbury. It was either that or going to West Smithfield Library in Charterhouse Square which closes at 8PM, a bit early for my liking. Once Senate House closes at 6:30PM I think I'll have to relocate to nearby Birkbeck College Library. Thank Christ for the University of London's Library Service! Anyway, back to that microbiology...

1 comment:

  1. Wow, what a lot of kerfuffle about a burst water pipe, sounds more like a reaction to a terror alert!

    Good luck with the microbiology anyway, I was in the Garrod building a week or two ago for an interview!

    ReplyDelete