Friday, 19 February 2010

Reading Week

Currently listening to: Suicide is Painless - Manic Street Preachers

Update: Physiology write up - completed
Update: Immunology notes - completed
Update: Nutrition and Metabolism essay - completed

In between the horror that is a full twelve week semester at QMUL, there is an oasis, a brief respite, a cool moment of calm, a demilitarised zone between the two half terms, a break from the on-going battle to juggle coursework, attend classes, make notes and so on...

I am of course referring to Reading Week, which is what every QMUL student looks forward to and which occurs at Week 7 of each semester. Having been to my Nutrition and Metabolism class this afternoon, I am officially done with this half term, so bring on Reading Week.

The traditional way to spend Reading Week (at least in first year) was to get drunk a lot, sleep till 1PM every day and generally while away the hours until suddenly Sunday night is upon you and you realise that Week 8 will start tomorrow and you've done absoultely sod all during Reading Week except strawpedo WkD and watch a million episodes of Scrubs back to back.

This Reading Week will be different however. I think if I write down on this blog everything I want to get done, then I might actually do it. Imagine if this time in a week I came on here with my tail between my legs and admitted I'd done sod all after promising to do lots of work? The humiliation! My pride could not take such a hit!

So here I make a solemn pledge that I, Grumpy Biomed, will complete the following tasks by next Monday (1st March):

1) Finish the write up for Physiology Practical III
2) Complete Nutrition and Metabolism coursework essay
3) Get completely up to date with Immunology notes
4) Get completely up to date with Physiology II notes

You might wonder why I am studying five modules yet am only going to catch up with two? The fact of the matter is that I know I won't be able to catch up with all five modules during one week. In the past I've often made grand plans which were simply too much, which failed, and I then felt horribly guilty. So I'm going to set myself a manageable task this time and hope that everything succeeds!

Anyway, back to that Physiology write up...

3 comments:

  1. Good luck - I look forward to hearing if you actually managed to do more than one or two of them. I wish we had reading weeks here. Half terms are from school days now, unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete
  2. technically im not on a reading week, but this ssc sure feels like one! i intend to catch up on notes, but so far, all i've done is finished one essay.. hmmm... not so good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. IO: Well I've finished the physiology write up on Friday night. Went to Oxford yesterday, so now I'm in Whitechapel Library working on the essay. 2000 words can't be that hard!

    Tofu: The balancing act of juggling notes, essays, etc is really really hard. I feel your pain :(

    ReplyDelete