Monday, 18 January 2010

Biochemistry Woes

Currently listening to: Common People - Pulp

I had always enjoyed biochemistry. Most people would look at me as if I was a nutter when I told them I enjoyed learning about proteins, carbohydrates, etc...I even liked learning about cellular respiration and photosynthesis, which most students detest. Indeed, I like Biochem so much that I got an A for it last year, something I am quite proud of.

However, first year is long gone and second year brings many new things with it, including an increase in mental torture and panic as exams draw ever closer. My woes surrounding my former favourite subject are getting me down...the Essential Biochemistry for Human Life module we're currently studying is HARD. And I mean that. I have no idea how I'm going to remember this much chemical theory in the run up to the exams whilst revising for seven other modules, and there's another problem...

So far we're meant to have covered buffer systems, blood biochemistry, digestion and the structure and function of haemoglobin and myoglobin. I say "meant to have covered" deliberately, as our lecturer is somewhat, um, behind in his classes. For example, last week we were meant to have finished both buffer systems and blood biochemistry, but actually we only finished the former in class. And this week we were meant to have finished digestion and haemoglobin structure, but in reality we only covered digestion.

I am not one to slag off my lecturers, I have the utmost respect (and frankly admiration) for anyone who can go as far as PhD level in a subject as complicated as biochem. However, it makes me feel rather uncomfortable and anxious that not only is this subject IMMENSELY difficult, but we're already behind in it!

Here's hoping that things will improve.

2 comments:

  1. In my second year of biomed, when the lecturer was slow then he said we would only be examined on what he covered :P and we just had the same thing happen last week in medicine =\

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think our lecturer will be that generous :(

    ReplyDelete